Course: Digital Humanities Lab

Response to Dr. Wranovix's Presentation (10/11)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author

Mary Isbell
    Keymaster

Please compose a response to Dr. Wranovix’s presentation and workshop (visit this link to see the presentation page, which includes a link to a video of the session). Your response can take any shape, but here are some questions to consider:

• What stuck out to you the most from this session?
    • What projects could you imagine creating with the tools/techniques introduced? Brainstorm possibilities even if you don’t think it’s the direction you will ultimately take.
    • What questions do you still have about the ideas/tools/techniques introduced?
    • If this presentation has inspired you to do a little independent exploration, please share what you discovered in your response!

Brian Esposito
    Participant

I found Omeka and Neatline were really interesting to use. Neatline more specifically made me think of a lot of ideas because you often don’t see an interactive map in projects. An individual project I thought of was mapping where every Super Bowl has been played because I love football. It would be interesting to know if airplanes would ever consider using Neatline because they could provide a short paragraph of information on the cities you fly over. I also liked how Omeka was already connected with Neatline and that you could port over your photographs very easily.

Courtney Johnson
    Participant

From watching the broadcast, Neatline stood out to me more than Omeka. I just found the Map more interesting because it was a different way of learning your environment by clicking on a building and learning the history behind it. I would definitely use Neatline in a future project because most peaople are visual learners and that grabs everyone attention.

Skylar Seabert
    Participant

I enjoyed this lecture as both Omeka and Neatline were intriguing outlets to use. However, I preferred Neatline as it is a more visual program than I am more inclined to use for a project. I think there are multiple possibilities for this project to take shape. As we were experimenting with Neatline during the lecture, I was considering combining Dr. Beck’s presentation of sound with this so that you could create one large project about sound at certain historical places.

Lourdes Perez
    Participant

I liked Dr. Wranovix’s presentation. I had so many ideas as to where and how this could be applied. The most exciting part for me was that I was able to see someone using these programs to express different things in both academic and personal lives. I think that the projects coming out of this will be interesting and I can’t wait to see what will happen.

Thomas Almeida
    Participant

I really liked Omeka and Neatline’s unique approach to content creation. The combination of cataloging structures is brilliant, and only really possible in a digital space. I can think about a lot of different applications of the map and timeline format, though I’m unsure of how I might utilize them in the field of literary analysis and writing. In class, I messed around with creating a scene-by-scene account of the locations where the movie Hot Fuzz was filmed. However, as my academic interest in the movie doesn’t come from its direction and cinematographic history (excellent as they are), I don’t know about using Omeka for that purpose. I also thought about creating an interactive story with the technology, but that isn’t a project I would want to pursue for this course.

Erin Stevenin
    Participant

This presentation reminded me a bit of the google street view exercise that we did with Dr. Beck. The idea of mapping different locations and timelines presents data in a way that I would not have expected. It could be used for so many different things. I like Thomas’ suggestion of using it for an interactive story. I might play with this software on my own but I do not think I will use it for my project in this course. In terms of the mapping, I found the google street view to be more of what I was looking for to present my project. I did like these methods but I think I will probably lean towards Dr. Beck’s method instead.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.