Course: Digital Humanities Lab

Response to Dr. Hutchinson's presentation

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author

Mary Isbell
    Keymaster

Please compose a response to Dr. Hutchinson’s presentation and workshop (visit this link to see the presentation page, which includes a link to a video of the session). Your response can take any shape, but here are some questions to consider:

• What stuck out to you the most from this session?
    • What projects could you imagine creating with the tools/techniques introduced? Brainstorm possibilities even if you don’t think it’s the direction you will ultimately take.
    • What questions do you still have about the ideas/tools/techniques introduced?
    • If this presentation has inspired you to do a little independent exploration, please share what you discovered in your response!

Lourdes Perez
    Participant

This week, I have come to a little more clarity about what shape I want my project to take. Both Dr. Hutchinson’s and Dr. Beck’s presentations stuck out to me and I feel adventurous enough to use the tools they showed me to form a final project. I am thinking of taking this idea of sound and perspective to track the use of either people of color or LGBT people in pop culture and how their salaries/interviews/fame have differed. I think this will be something that challenge me but also set me up with new skills and technologies that I could incorporate in other aspects of my life. I look forward to working with these tools and hope to create something that makes an impact or makes people think.

Brian Esposito
    Participant

What stuck out to me most was Dr. Hutchinson’s presentation style. Even though there was only about four of us in class he presented as if he was talking to one hundred people. While I do not consider myself all that musically inclined I was really interested in Brian Foo’s comparison of location and household income in New York and using trains and music to capture that. In the future I think that could be very cool to make a project similar to using my own statistical data.

Skylar Seabert
    Participant

This presentation really stuck out to me because of how much information was available within music. It was intriguing to learn about the comparisons between statistics and sound and how one affects the other within some of the videos we watched. For my project, I have decided that I want to incorporate some sort of sound either from Dr. Beck’s presentation or from Dr. Hutchinson’s presentation and apply it to the mapping systems we learned from Dr. Wranovix.

Thomas Almeida
    Participant

In watching back the recording of Dr. Hutchinson’s lecture, I am particularly enamored with the variety of applications for data manipulation. I have never put too much thought into how we can warp sound to convey meaning, but the example of the “2 Trains” song was incredible, and its relation to the rest of Dr. Hutchinson’s lecture was very interesting. Each example of data warping presented was vastly different. As for my own potential uses for data and sound, I can actually think of a pretty neat project. So obviously, I’ve talked a lot in this course about how much I love Edgar Wright’s work, especially Hot Fuzz and Baby Driver. Each of these movies exemplifies my theory of literary technique called The Reference which, in short, means that they have a lot of auditory parallels within themselves. If I could layer moments of audio which are meant to connect to each other, I imagine that I might be able to create a pleasing reverb, which would emphasize to listeners how this technique is meant to work on the films’ audiences. I don’t know if I feel versed enough to take this on as my final project, but it was really cool to have a lecture which made me think so outside of the box.

Erin Stevenin
    Participant

This presentation was executed so confidently. I enjoyed listening to it. Also, I was happy to finally learn about what my roommates had talked about for so long. They had taken a class with him on data sonification. It was really cool to actually hear the professor’s side of that after hearing it from students. I think the entire idea of data sonification is fascinating! It really can have a profound impact when it is done well. It is so cool and so interesting and yet, I can not think of something that would “matter enough” to do a project on. The idea of modding systems was also interesting. I have dabbled in similar things previously, not for musical purposes but to customize or upgrade a gaming console. Again, I found it very interesting but I am unsure what I would do with it. When my roommates took his class, they made a song using data sonification for suicide rates over different age groups. The piano would get louder or softer based on the amount of suicides. Similarly to how two trains followed the route of a train, they followed the years of life. It started at birth and continued onwards. This project was so powerful. I listened to it many times while they were working on it. I don’t know if I could “live up to” their project.

Courtney Johnson
    Participant

After watching back the recording of Dr. Hutchinson’s lecture I can say I grasp how different sounds are recorded as data. With the technology we have today , we can create different pitches, timbre and even spatial location. Also the data of matching lovers in different nationality caught my attentions thought it was interesting but i did not believe it was 100 percent accurate. I know next semester im taking this music class where we have to record random sounds i feel like this lecture will fill me with plenty ideas for that project.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.