Course: Digital Humanities Lab

Response to Dr. Sheffield's Presentation (9/27)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Lourdes Perez 4 days, 4 hours ago.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author

Mary Isbell
    Keymaster

Please compose a response to Dr. Sheffield’s presentation and workshop (visit this link to see the presentation page, which includes a link to a video of the session). Your response can take any shape, but here are some questions to consider:

• What stuck out to you the most from this session?
    • What projects could you imagine creating with the tools/techniques introduced? Brainstorm possibilities even if you don’t think it’s the direction you will ultimately take.
    • What questions do you still have about the ideas/tools/techniques introduced?
    • If this presentation has inspired you to do a little independent exploration, please share what you discovered in your response!

Skylar Seabert
    Participant

I really enjoyed this presentation as there was so much information to dive into. I think the piece that stuck out the most to me was how much information was available within each set of data and how much you could do with that set. I was intrigued by Tableau Public and how I was able to pick and choose which sections of data I wanted to compare and in what kind of graph. This program would be useful if I decided to do my own research and wanted to break it down or study different trends within my data.

Brian Esposito
    Participant

I thought this presentation was really neat as it connects with my major. From a business perspective, it is always interesting to see where your drops are and your increases. I thought it was really fun using Tableau Public since I could create my own graph based on whatever information I wanted. I was also really intrigued when I found out there are websites dedicated to excel spreadsheets full of data that can be downloaded whenever needed. I messed around with the NFL data sheet and used it on Tableau Public to see the home state versus the draft round and then put it on a global map and it was just really cool for me to see because I am a huge football fan.

Thomas Almeida
    Participant

I’m disappointed that I wasn’t able to make this class section! As someone who has taken Writing for Digital Environments, I’m still blown away by the creativity of projects that can be enhanced by SEO potential, and interesting ways of presenting data. As Dr. Sheffield correctly guessed, I was very interested in the Game of Thrones script website. It reminded me of my SURF project over the summer, and the ideas I developed surround Reference in literature. I don’t know if this is necessarily the direction I will take with my final project, but I am sure that tools like this will prove useful as supplementary options in the future.

Specifically regarding my SURF work, I had the idea very quickly while watching that I could take the most important movie in my work – Hot Fuzz – and apply it to a similar system as the Game of Thrones project to connect times in the movie when jokes are repeated. By supplying material of specific moments of repetition, I could actually get hard data to show my audience! This is a near impossibility in my field, so it’s very cool to be able to mess around with that.

Courtney Johnson
    Participant

What stuck out to me the most about the presentation was the data of ratio of male/female survived on each boat from titanic. The program “Tableau Public” can be helpful for my future as a Real Estate agent by finding most priced homes for each family. We can also use this tool for the university of New Haven to make more diversity with the students.

Erin Stevenin
    Participant

This presentation opened my eyes to the fact that graphs and charts could be seen as an important digital tool. Being a science major, I feel that I have taken graphs for granted. I often think that all data presented just requires a visual chart of some kind with it. I never put much thought into it otherwise. I write a lab report; I add a graph. Dr. Sheffield took this idea to a different level. The use of Tableau demonstrated that data can be presented in so many different ways! It made it clear that changing the method of presentation can give the data a whole different perspective or meaning. Its very interesting how small changes can greatly affect the data.

Lourdes Perez
    Participant

This presentation showed me just how important data visualization could be. I always knew that clean looking graphs (and other formats) were important to educators, but this presentation showed me how it can be used in various other ways. For example, throughout the presentation, I was able to draw my own conclusions of the effect data has on tone, clarity, and correlation. As a Forensic Science major, I may find myself using these tools in the future!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.