Course: Digital Humanities Lab

Response to Dr. Isbell's Presentation on 9/13 (Response due by midnight on 9/18)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Courtney Johnson 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author

Mary Isbell
    Keymaster

Please compose a response to Dr. Isbell’s presentation and workshop (visit this link to see the presentation page, which includes a link to a video of the session). Your response can take any shape, but here are some questions to consider:

• What stuck out to you the most from this session?
    • What projects could you imagine creating with the tools/techniques introduced? Brainstorm possibilities even if you don’t think it’s the direction you will ultimately take.
    • What questions do you still have about the ideas/tools/techniques introduced?
    • If this presentation has inspired you to do a little independent exploration, please share what you discovered in your response!

Lourdes Perez
    Participant

After watching this lecture, I was shocked at how many things jumped out at me. However, the most striking was the ability for people to be able to use source codes as a way of customizing a platform without being able to pay money and getting more familiar with tools that people use every day. I love that there are so many possibilities with a tool that I thought was boring beforehand.

I like the idea of utilizing the tools discussed to create a website, or improve a website to make it more user friendly. I know that I was talking with someone the other day who wanted to improve the website they had created but wasn’t sure how and I think that this would have been a useful resource. On a different track, I think that this could also be a great track to use when developing a website in order to get feedback from a group of people. 

I’m not very good with technology, so the idea of using all of these tools is daunting, but after spending a few minutes playing around with the different features, I am becoming a little more comfortable with it. I would like to learn more about these tools to make the most out of how I am using them.

Skylar Seabert
    Participant

What stuck out to me the most from this lecture was that there are so many parts and pieces that we don’t think about within websites or a few clicks on our end. I really enjoyed this lecture as we covered multiple topics; however, they are all interconnected. I can imagine using the one tool to create either an alternate ending to a story or change pieces of my chosen literary work. It would be interesting to follow through with adding a personal twist to my favorite book. This presentation has also inspired me to think critically about the process of writing within Wikipedia, HTML, literary pieces, and more.

Erin Stevenin
    Participant

This reminded me a lot of previous classes I have taken. During my freshman year of college, one of my professors had us edit Wikipedia as part of our class. We studied short stories and checked the Wikipedia pages for each of them. If anything was missing, inaccurate or not cited we would edit the page to fix it. We were also taught about the discussions behind each page that contributers have. Adittionally, I have previously taken a class that taught html coding for web design. Its not something I’m really skilled at, but its also not something completely new to me. I think its an interesting topic. I’m just not really sure what I could do with it. There are many possibilities but nothing sticks out to me immediately.

Brian Esposito
    Participant

What stuck out to me the most from this session was the fact that anyone can edit a wikipedia page and they do not even need an account to do so. What also was really surprising to me was that the wikipedia can show which pages needed more information and which pages were certified and good to go. I think TAPAS could be really to mees around with because it is almost like you can type in your own book and have the chapters right on the internet. This presentation made me think of the a project for the book “Tale of Two Cities” by Charles Dickens, as I could potentially create my own newspaper with each chapter in it and the surrounding articles would comment on the chapter.

Courtney Johnson
    Participant

Watching the video of the lecture, I grasp a lot of information but editing on wikipedia stood out to me the most. Because different point of views can always improve an article 10x better than one editor on other website. Also Wikipedia will always be updated as the years go on. A project I can create with the tools is possibly placing the tool on news websites, having  an open response only to people in the area as witness. same as being interviewed just on a computer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.