Course: Digital Humanities Lab

Response to Dr. Boasso's Presentation on 9/6 (Response due by midnight on 9/11)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Lourdes Perez 4 days, 5 hours ago.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author

Mary Isbell
    Keymaster

Please compose a response to Dr. Boasso’s presentation and workshop (visit this link to see the presentation page, which includes a link to a video of the session). Your response can take any shape, but here are some questions to consider:

• What stuck out to you the most from this session?
    • What projects could you imagine creating with the tools/techniques introduced? Brainstorm possibilities even if you don’t think it’s the direction you will ultimately take.
    • What questions do you still have about the ideas/tools/techniques introduced?
    • If this presentation has inspired you to do a little independent exploration, please share what you discovered in your response!
    • This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Mary Isbell. Reason: adding link to presentation page (with video)

Brian Esposito
    Participant

What stuck out to me during Dr. Boasso’s presentation was the experiment tab on Google Art & Culture, more specifically the Art Palette that was created by Simon Doury and Etienne Ferrier, as I found it very fun to use but also very helpful for when I need a picture for a project but cant seem to put my finger on what I want I can chose by color. There were also other interesting experiments where you could explore artwork in more than just a 2-D way, you could navigate it through a 3-D model. I also very much liked the fact that on Google Art & Culture I could zoom in on these pieces of artwork and I could see the smallest pixel and it would still be clear and easy to look at. A project I could create from these pieces of artwork is looking at a collage of photos or just one corner of a picture and trying to understand what each painter wants its viewers to understand from it. For my own independent exploration I was just looking into the tower or Babel and reading and learning about it.

Unique A. Flynn
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>What’s stuck out for me to most is when we used RIJK (I think that’s how it’s spelled 🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️), to make our own web pages, so to speak, was awesome. I’d definitely see myself the 3 sites for PowerPoint presentations, or as deliverables. I would like to master the sites, and understand them a lot more. I’m sure there’s so much I can do with them and during class I didn’t even scratch the surface. I do wish the RIJK site has more up-to-date photos, but I’m sure the other 2 will be more up my lane.</p>

Skylar Seabert
    Participant

I found this lesson quite fun and what stuck out to me the most was being able to find creativity and artwork within topics that might not fit within a museum. For my collection, I focused on crime by decade and I found it interesting that there was any artwork within that topic. Additionally, I found that the Smithsonian website had the most to work with for my theme; whereas, the other websites had little artwork for my specific interests. I can imagine creating many different projects with these tools as one can use the artwork to learn more about a topic they might want to study, a brainstorming tool to find a topic, or as evidence behind their research.

Erin Stevenin
    Participant

The idea that so many museums are starting online curations is so interesting to me. It makes so many artworks and artifacts available to the public regardless of location. I think its another way that the internet helps close distances. Everyone and anyone can be connected online. I think this might be an option that interests me for the final project. As I had mentioned in class, I thought of the idea of using this online curation method to display evidence from criminal cases. I have been scouring the internet to see what cold case evidence is publicly available and if there is any collections already made. I would still like to find a different way to present the information though. I did not like the format of the online curations we worked with in class. I am going to do further research and see what’s out there. If not, I could make my own website as Dr. Boasso recommended. So far, I think this might be what I use for my final project; however, I’ll wait until I see the other presentations to make a final choice.

Lourdes Perez
    Participant

During Dr.Boasso’s presentation, I was able to brainstorm tons of applications for the curation methods we were introduced to. While using the methods shown, I was able to create folders of art that tracked different styles of art throughout time periods. While these tools could be particularly helpful when applying to art, I can see applications in all fields. This could be a tool for organizing case files, photo collections, and even a tool to use for independent exploration. Overall, I think this was an interesting topic and hope to apply it to future assignments.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.