Course: Digital Humanities Lab

Please introduce yourself!

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Thomas Almeida 1 month, 1 week ago.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author

Mary Isbell
    Keymaster

Before Wednesday, 9/4 at 11:59pm, please add a post to this discussion thread introducing yourself to your fellow classmates and the faculty teaching the DH Lab. Your introductory post can take any form, but here are some of the questions I’m especially curious to know the answers to:

• How did you learn about this class?
    • After our introductory discussion, what most excites you about the class? What questions do you have at this point?
    • What are the content areas (this could be related to your major, particular courses, or even something extracurricular) that you might want to incorporate into your proposal/project for this course? You definitely don’t need an idea already of what you’d like to do, but you can share if you’re already considering possibilities.

Erin Stevenin
    Participant

Hello! I’m Erin. I’m a junior majoring in forensic science with an emphasis in chemistry. I learned about this class from Dr. Isbell. I work for her as a writing fellow and she recommended the class during our training. The part of this class that excites me the most is learning something new. A lot of the topics that professors mentioned are new to me; there was only one that I have been exposed to previously. I am looking forward to finding new ways to express myself and express things I have learned.

There are so many possibilities when it comes to content areas for the project. As my major may imply, I do like science. However, my interests extend much further than just science. I am passionate about trying new things and testing my abilities. In the past, I have taken extra classes on topics that interest me. Last semester, I took digital photography. In high school, I took web design and internet research, screenwriting fundamentals, design tech and a cooking class. Additionally, I find the audio projects to be very interesting. This is probably due to my love of dance and my expirience working with my high school’s drama club. At my dance studio, I was able to choreograph, teach and cut music for our recitals. I was the technical director for my high school’s drama club. Although I was in charge of overseeing all of the technical aspects of a show, I favored the audio. I ran the sound board and balanced our live music. I strive to keep myself well rounded and open to new possibilities. I would love to learn something completely new and different than what I have done but, I am also open to implementing my previous skills in a new setting or method.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Erin Stevenin.

Lourdes Perez
    Participant

Hi! My name is Lola Perez and I am a sophomore studying Forensic Science with a concentration in Biology. I learned about this course from Dr. Isbell and heard more through Dr. Beck. After our class discussions, I am most excited about learning new tools that I can incorporate through the rest of my academic career. I am also excited about learning more about topics that may not have to do with my major!

As of now, I have a few areas that I am interested in focusing on. I would like to explore a few possibilities that include Art/Art History and Law. However, I am open to almost anything, and I would be more than happy to discuss the options available to me!

Laura Gardner
    Participant

Hi, my name is Laura Gardner and I am a junior studying Forensic Science with a concentration in biology and a minor in biology. I heard about this course from a friend and spoke with Dr. Isbell to learn more about what this class would entail. After hearing more from her, I was really interested in learning more about the different topics that professors are going to talk about, getting to know them personally, and gaining more experience in research.

Some possible areas that I am interested in that I might want to incorporate into my proposal/project would obviously be anything about science (more so biology based), video games, cooking/baking, animals, and I am open to exploring many other topics that I am not that familiar with!

Skylar Seabert
    Participant

Hi, I’m Skylar and I am a freshmen majoring in Criminal Justice with a concentration in Investigative Services. I learned about this class through an email from Dr. Beck inviting freshmen to join. I am very excited for this class; however, I added the class after Friday so I was not present for the discussion. Based on the description on the website, I am most excited about the research project and learning more about specific topics I am passionate about.

There are many content areas that I would be interested in researching. My major is Criminal Justice and I have a passion for photography, victim services, law, and more. Additionally, I would be interested in considering other available topics.

Melissa Schmidt
    Participant

Hey, my name is Melissa Schmidt and I am a junior studying Forensic Science with a concentration in biology and a minor in biology. I heard about this course first from a friend that heard about it from one of her professors then I meet with Dr. Isbell to learn more about what exactly the course is. After talking with her about more of the details of the course I was really excited to get the opportunity to work more one on one with a professor, as well as learning new ways of conducting and presenting research.

A couple of possible areas that I am interested in possibly incorporating into my project/proposal would be something to do with forensics, decomposition, movies, animals and of course, any new and interesting topics that I don’t know too much about.

Unique A. Flynn
    Participant

Hello everyone,

My name is Unique Flynn (soon to be Smith. I got Married almost 3 weeks ago). I’m a Junior majoring in Business Management, with a concentration in Human Resources. I’m a mother of 5 and a Marine Corps Veteran. Originally from Texas, but moved to Connecticut in 2008. No I do not have an account or twang

• I learned about this class through an email I received.
    • Due to an accident I had I was unable to attend the 1st class. I’m interested in really knowing more about D.H. Navigating the site is confusing at this time, but I’m hoping that changes SOON.
    • Being a Business Management major D.H. can be incorporated in many areas, such as meetings, projects, presentations, etc.

Thomas Almeida
    Participant

Hi all, my name is Tom, and I’m an English major here at the University! I am taking minors in Philosophy in Professional and Technical Writing. I switched majors in my first year from Computer Science, and while I still harbor a lot of love for software developers, the land of subjectivity and the humanities is much more my speed.

I grew up in a tiny town called Petersham, in the perfect center of Massachusetts. One of the largest towns area-wise in the state, but with barely over a thousand residents, I grew up fairly secluded in the woods other than my twin, and my older two brothers (who are also twins). I think this likely lead to my natural introspection and introversion, and absolutely to my interest in story. I was a test dummy for OpenLab this summer for my SURF project regarding story structure as well, so I’m excited to use it for a course.

I am looking forward to all of the different applications in class, and in meeting you all!

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Thomas Almeida.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Mary Isbell.

Thomas Almeida
    Participant

Hi all, my name is Tom, and I’m an English major here at the University! I am taking minors in Philosophy in Professional and Technical Writing. I switched majors in my first year from Computer Science, and while I still harbor a lot of love for software developers, the land of subjectivity and the humanities is much more my speed.

I grew up in a tiny town called Petersham, in the perfect center of Massachusetts. One of the largest towns area-wise in the state, but with barely over a thousand residents, I grew up fairly secluded in the woods other than my twin, and my older two brothers (who are also twins). I think this likely lead to my natural introspection and introversion, and absolutely to my interest in story. I was a test dummy for OpenLab this summer for my SURF project regarding story structure as well, so I’m excited to use it for a course.

I learned about this course through my advisor, Dr. Isbell! It’s been exciting to see how the idea of the lab has changed, and now to see it come to fruition. Right now, I am thinking about looking into podcasting and how it can be utilized for academic critique in a popular medium, but I am interested in seeing everything else!

I am looking forward to all of the different applications in class, and in meeting you all!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.